If you are a business owner, you are frequently confronted with the issues of time management. You need expert skills at organizing your office and time in order to succeed.
Follow these steps and make more time in your workday - time that is well-spent - and can save you many hours in the future, while also making you more effective and efficient.
1. Make an exhaustive list of all your responsibilities as a business owner. Now, prioritize them. Tasks that produce income should be at the top of your list. A prioritized list will help you focus and get things done.
2. Make a list of all the tasks that need to be done each week. Also find out and note the amount of time needed to complete each one of these tasks.
3. Always keep about five to ten minutes at the end of each day to plan for the next. Put these down on a To-Do List so you can get all the tasks on it completed the next day. Leave this list on your desk so it’s the first thing you look at as you start work the next day. Set aside time for each area (for instance, finances) before you go on to the next (say, marketing).
4. Keep your office organized – project-wise. Organize your office by category. For example, put all the files and information pertaining to finances in one place and marketing in another. In this manner, you can focus on one area/project at a time and save time.
5. Create a system for processing paperwork. A step file system holds about 7 files. Categorize it by creating files: Do, Read, Awaiting Answer, Consider, Refer, Ideas.
6. Make sure you have a proper filing system. This is a real time saver as it ensures you get what you are looking for- and get the information when you need it.
7. Fully exploit the critical programs on your computer. Take classes if you must. You can organize your sales activities on a CRM – learn how to use it to fully organize your activities, etc. Learn how to use spreadsheets efficiently. Invest in classes or buy how-to books for each program in your system.
8. Reserve some time for “creative” brainstorming sessions. Do some strategic thinking and see how far you can take your business. Read business books or listen to motivational speakers in your car on the way home- this can lead to some effective strategies.
It is critical that you take the time to organize your office as well as your time. The time used for this activity will save you hundreds of hours in the future, help you focus and stay on track. This is a process that you must continually work on and will lead to great results in your business.
Discover valuable strategies, tested tools, and proven systems to build any business (especially yours) right now, right here...
© 2019 All Rights Reserved
Get news updates from ActionCOACH and learn about events, opportunities, Business Success Stories, and other inspiring articles.